Traffic signs make life safer and easier for all road users, telling them what they need to do and directing them to where they want to go.
In this context, street names play a crucial role. Not only do they reduce errant traffic in urban environments, they also help life-saving services, such as emergency medical teams and fire services in their day-to-day work.
A combination of clear, uniform design and a retroreflective background ensures that street name signs are easily visible and recognisable at all times of the day and night, regardless of the weather conditions.
Bremicker Verkehrstechnik recommends that you contact our centre of competence for tourist signage (Kompetenzzentrum für Touristische Beschilderung und Wegweisung) at our Wiedemar (Saxony) site for any information you need regarding street name signs. We will help you to create safe and readily visible signage for built-up areas. At Bremicker Verkehrstechnik we typically use exclusively high-grade aluminium, certified quality retroreflective sheeting material and non-fading colours.
These are the most important features of a street name sign:
- The VwV - StVO §§39 - 43III stipulates that the 437 sign must be printed on both sides using retroreflective sheeting type RA1
- the lettering should be white against a dark background, or black on a light background
- standard colours are traffic blue (Verkehrsblau) RAL 5017 and traffic white (Verkehrsweiß) RAL 9016
- the lettering should adhere to DIN 1451 Part 2; special lettering available on request
- minimum height of lettering is 84 mms (for details see table 1)
- the length of the sign is determined by the number of characters + spaces
- sign inserts, for example to indicate house numbers or bearing captions, can be mounted as an attachment on the street name sign (for details see table 1)
The diagrams showing sizes, design types and types of fittings are available for you to download via the download menu.